Keeping the family entertained doesn't have to break the bank. You really can't go wrong with these free family friendly activities in Melbourne!
1. To get Mums and Dads ready for a day of family fun, kick-start your system with a cup of perfectly-crafted caffeine from the folks at Proud Mary. This Melbourne fave uses their Community Cupping events as a way to showcase new blends and fresh micro-lots, meaning your coffee won’t just be free but also deliciously ground-breaking.
2. Visit the National Gallery of Victoria and ogle at one of the many exhibitions they’re currently showing. If you get there on the hour at 11am, 12pm, 1pm or 2pm you can even join in one of the free tours!
3. For a cultural and educational experience, admire the city’s famous laneway art at Hosier Lane. A perfect backdrop for an insta family pic.
4. Follow in the first little piggy’s footsteps and go to market. There are lots to choose from but our pick is the Queen Victoria Market, both for its excellent range of vendors and the number of free samples on offer.
5. Watch movies in comfy private booths at the ACMI in Federation Square. You can get all historical and watch something from the older end of 100-odd years of archived film or you can enjoy something more current in high definition. Suddenly even Cheap Tuesday feels like a rip-off...
6. Head to St Kilda to say hello to the penguins and get an iconic snap in front of Luna Park’s giant mouth. Bring your togs and you can go for a quick dip too!
7. Hop aboard the City Circle Tram. It’s free, takes you straight past (or to) the city’s major attractions and speaks directly to our lazy day aspirations.