The January 26th public holiday is a great time to don your going out thongs, let your hair down and celebrate the best of summer in the land down under. So here are our top 5 tips to a great day out.
1. Wear sunscreen. The only thing worse than a hangover is a sunburnt one, especially when it’s 30 degrees and you have to dress for the office the next day. Speaking of work, arrange leave for the 27th. This makes you a conscientious planner, unlike some of your co-workers who will chuck a sickie and be labelled unreliable by the boss.
2. In our opinion, pluggers (aka thongs / flip flops) are the only appropriate footwear and should be tossed in competition at least once throughout the day. You can fix a plugger blow-out using a bread tag. Ingenious, especially as there’s bound to be plenty around on a day where sausages in bread are the staple food source. Or, if you want to be really classy, pair your going out thongs with some cooling linen.
3. On that note, accept that you will eat at least six sausages during the course of the day and that at least one of these will be hungrily devoured around 6pm as the sun dips.Waiting for 45 minutes at your local pizza joint is no fun at all. Avoid takeaway between the hours of 6pm and 9pm: you’ll evade a heightened state of hangry and that sneaky little thing known as the public holiday surcharge.
4. In Australia, the party is never over before the end of the Hottest 100 on Triple J, so make sure you tune in. And, if you're hosting a shindig, don't try and end things early or you'll never hear the end of it.
5. Embrace Aussie slang, even if it is just for one day. It’s not a sausage and a beer with your friends in the afternoon: it’s a snag and a stubby in the arvo with ya mates. And it’s bloody awesome... so chuck another snag on the barbie!
Australia’s own Adina Apartment Hotels boast some of the best CBD locations around the country, so why not make a long weekend of it. Adina’s one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments are equipped with everything you need for an extended stay – whether you want to cook, clean, chill on a comfy lounge or just have a great home base.